HA! Dimples is in shock. Dimples loves the artful 2D animation and beautiful story of the Danish Poet, but frankly, Dimples did not think there was any chance for this to win. It’s the pick of all three on the Dimples’ team. It’s stylish and it can be enjoyed on many levels by young and old. Congratulations to Torill Kove and her team on their great win. Wowzer.
The Dimples Animated Short Oscar Poll is closed. Fifty votes were cast and the winner was “Lifted.” Dimples personal favorite among this years nominated shorts is “The Danish Poet.” But, which film will win? Our best guess at Darling Dimples is that “The Little Match Girl” will take home the statue tonight. Thanks to everyone who participated.
Voting In Darling Dimples Oscar poll for the best animated short of 2006 has been hot and heavy. Blue Sky Studios, nominated for “No Time for Nuts”, has been a freqent visitor in the last few days. This is a reminder post to get your votes in today. The poll will be closed at the end February 24, 2006. Vote and vote often, as the saying goes.
[tags]animated short, oscar 2006, darling dimples, oscar poll[/tags]
Dimples just ran across a fascinating web site: billyblob.com. This site is the creation of some guy who is supposedly named Billy Bob. He created a flash cartoon, Karma Ghost, that made it to Sundance a few years ago. Besides cartoons, his site includes a gallery of some fine paintings. Take a look. There’s quite a bit going on at billyblob.com. A quick google didn’t turn up any personal information on Billy Bob. Dimples would appreciate any scoop you might be able to provide.
[tags]2D animation, flash animation, billy bob, billyblob.com[/tags]
Aniboom is a relatively new animation site that Dimples thinks hits the bullseye dead on. Youtube is fine for uploading your latest puppy and kitty videos but young animators looking for feedback on their animated shorts needed a place like Aniboom to show off their stuff. On Feb. 1, Aniboom announced their six prize winners.
- Grand Prize Winner – Bendito Machine – Dimples loves this animation. We’re not sure what the message is but we’re known for our general denseness. The animators were extremely clever with their technique in this piece as well as extremely artful in their presentation. This short deserved the big prize.
- Funny Category Winner – Humans! – This is a cute animation that is expertly done in a public service STD announcement fashion.
- Drama Category Winner – Beton – Dimples greatly enjoyed the style of this short animation. Like the grand prize winner, these folks were clever in delivering an enjoyable short film despite the simple animation. In other words, no lip synch required. This work is also timely and thoughtful as was Humans!.
- Music Video Category Winner – Mr. Fortune – You have to admire the quality of this one. The timing is perfect. It’s not a style that pleases us but you have to give high marks for technical merit.
- Crappy Category Winner – Back in Bush – Well, what can we say, this is crappy animation but it makes fun of Bush and Cheney so it’s not all bad.
- Experimental Category Winner – Chaos Theory – This is the winner that we liked least. It’s pretty and it will give your sub-woofer a workout but there’s no story and there’s no character and, as far as Dimples is concerned, that’s just boring.
While Animboom was giving out $50,000 to these winners, they were collecting a much bigger prize for themselves. From Newteevee.com:
Israeli startup Aniboom has raised $4.5 million for its emerging online animation community, which it hopes to turn into a distributed animation studio.
[tags]2D animation, aniboom, animation contest, animation winners[/tags]